Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Driving MR Daisy!

I drove my dad and three kids 8 hours to Florida to a family reunion this weekend. We stay with my dads brother 2 days and his sister 2 days . It is usually quite fun and we even get to have some beach time. Well there will probably be several parts to this story but this one is the most recent and probably interesting. As we began to drive home I started not to feel very well.My hubby claims this happens every time we travel and I am beginning to think he is right. Anyway we had to stop several more times than usual and I just was not paying attention as much as I usually do. As we were crossing Alabama we had stopped yet again and were Way behind schedule. Daddy has to get places in a certain amount of time. He is very uptight about this. We pulled out of a gas station and began down the road again. I hit resume on the cruise control and started into traffic. We had just passed a construction starts here sign speeding fines doubled when I saw him. A Bear! No not a real on the blue light special kind. I knew it when I passed him and began saying He got me!!! He got ME!!! He whipped around his patrol car and turned on his lights I pulled over and he passed me. WHEW!! Or so I thought. Mr Daisy Or dad in the seat next to me says. He is gong to get both of you. Me and the SUV in front of me. Well he was right as he pulled over that car he stood in the middle of the road and flagged me over too!!! I immediately and getting out my drivers license and proof of insurance. I then rolled down my window as he approached . He says whats your hurry? In a high squeaky voice I say we are driving home from a family reunion. He says how long you been running behind them ? Dad says since the town just behind us. I was just sitting there shaking . The officer Highway patrolman to be exact, says OK sit here for a minute, He then proceeds to his car with the other large angry lady following him to his front seat. She is shaking her head and finger at him. I see them in his patrol car as he points to his radar and discusses in length this matter with her. While this is gong on I start counting out loud. 12,13,14 15...... 22 I say to dad. In the 22 years I have been driving I have NEVER been stopped. No tickets, not even a wreck that was my fault. I then think oh no !! my hubby is gonna have real good time with this one. He calls me grandma behind the wheel. The patrolman steps out of his car and starts walking toward me. Dad says I think you are gonna be ok. I smile at the patrol man as he approaches. He says I never do this but, (long pause) since you were honest with me and did not give me some lame excuse as to why you were driving so fast like some people did. I will let you off with a warning. But please slow down there are construction guys out here and I do not want them to get hurt. This would have been a $200.00 ticket. Thanks so much !!! I say this over and over again. As l pull off I set my cruise at 45 and we drive that way a long time until I see the sign that tells me I can go 70 again. Whew!!!!! This is only one of the things I learned on this trip driving MR daisy. More to come later!!!!

3 comments:

Kearsmom said...

Oh my! I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that!

You should get stopped more often. Then you wouldn't worry about it so much. Haha!

The Ainsworth Family said...

I got a ticket for the first time in my life about two weeks ago. i ran a stop sign in cross creek. i was going to pick up mamie from a friends house @ 11:00 at night and could see the signs and then all of a sudden a car comes out from no where and i just ran the sign. now my husband tells me i have to take driving school something to get it off my record so that our ins. will not go up. the policeman checks my record comes back to the car, tells me my record is clean, but he is giving me one because there has been lots of complaints about people running stops signs. well, my goodness it was 11:00 at night, clean record but he still gives me a ticket. so DON'T RUN STOP SIGNS IN CROSS CREEK. alison (from cheer leading)

Junebug said...

uh oh!!

yeah, you need to get pulled over more often. makes it less scary.

:-)