Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Nose Knows

I have a very acute sense of smell. And I am very aware of all the smells around me. I pick my shampoo, cleaning agents, soaps, and laundry detergent based mostly on smell. Yes of course they have to work but, even if something works well and smells awful I have a hard time using the product. I also make sure my kids smell good everyday as they leave the house for school or church. WHY you ask??? Well before I went to college I worked in a daycare. You can only imagine what kind of smells are in a place like that. But everyday this little boy would come in my two year old class room and to say he was a hand full was an understatement. But, everyone loved him no matter what, and why????? Well he smelled good. We fought over who got to hold him and all wanted him to sit on our lap. His mom wore eternity perfume and held him every morning before she left him or his dad who wore Polo Cologne dropped him off and he would smell like dad. No matter what I decided from then on if something smells good no matter how bad it is, it makes it easier to take. So to help my kids find "favor" with others and to maybe make the bad easier to take I help them smell good. Also I equate good smells with cleanliness. which if you know me I enjoy cleanliness! So if it smells good I'm all about it. And even Disney agrees with me. It enhances some of the rides with smells to make the experience more enjoyable and memorable. Smells can take you back in time and evoke very powerful emotions. I would say this is a gift and sometimes it it and others it is a curse as you can well imaigine. My son has this gift also, he smelled a teacher in a huge store 10 minutes before we ever ran into her. He kept telling me he smelled her long before we saw her. He loved her so much and was so glad when we finally saw her. He connected her with how she smelled. So if it smells good, send it my way. The nose Knows!!!

No comments: