Sunday, November 9, 2008

That all to Familiar Feeling

Two of my favorite movies are Father of the Bride 1 & 2. In that movie Steve Martin states that he does things and says things for his daughter that hurts him but is what is best for her. I had one of those moments this week with my youngest. She wore a cheap Halloween necklace to school on Tuesday. When she got home she said she had LEFT it at school. I told her that was OK just get it the next day. On Thursday I was working with her on some homework and she mentioned that she had to walk AGAIN at recess to get her necklace back. WHAT???? I confronted her in a calm rational manner and asked what had really happened to her necklace. She then told me she had gotten her necklace taken away for talking and playing with it. I then asked her if she thought what she had done all week was lying? She started to cry and said yes and that she had lied because she thought daddy would spank her alot and that we would not love her anymore. (Where do kids get that idea?) I reassured her that we would always love her no matter what but that she would have to go to bed early that night. You would have thought I had beat her. I got that all to familiar feeling that I was doing what was best for her but painful for me too. When the night came and she bravely crawled into her bed holding back tears till I turned out the light and she began to softly cry. While we stayed up and few minutes with the other two and got them ready I could hear her softly crying. OUCH!!! Very Painful for me!!! Well her dad and we went in and kissed her and prayed with her. After prayers she said I will not lie again and she KNEW we loved her because we care!!! Yes!!! All to familiar pain for me but we taught her a lesson that night. I hope it sticks cuz' I don't like that all too familiar feeling!!!!! (By the way her dad did NOT spank her at all and her also told her we would always love her no matter what.)

No comments: